In February 2011, reggae music icon Buju Banton (Mark Myrie) was found guilty of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine; possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking; and using a telephone to commit a drug offence.
Today June 23rd 2011, Banton was sentenced to 10 years behind bars in a Florida jail followed by 5 years of probation.
State prosecutors presented audio and video recordings of the singer tasting cocaine and boasting that he was a big drug dealer.
According to sources, the judge received letters of mercy from Banton’s children, relatives and American actor Danny Glover.Read Also
- Vietnam: Stop Blocking ‘Human Rights Picnics’
- International community must not become 'numb' to atrocities in Syria – UN rights chief
- Sudanese activist held incommunicado at risk of torture
- UN report confirms nearly 200 women and girls raped by Congolese troops, rebels
- Zambia urged to release two men charged with same-sex sexual conduct